Anthony Katz Hyperice Vyper

More Than Just an Icing Brand: An Interview with Anthony Katz, Hyperice Recovery Products

Ever pick up a piece of equipment in your practice and wonder what moment of inspiration generated its creation? DC Aligned had a unique opportunity to speak with Anthony Katz, founder of Hyperice recovery products, who spoke to us about developing muscle recovery products. Katz gave us insight into where his ideas for products like the Hyperice wraps, VYPER vibrating foam roller and the new Raptor soft tissue percussion device came from, and how he hopes his company impacts the future of the rehab and recovery world.

From professional sports to your clinic, Katz and his team are committed to creating rehab and recovery tools that help everyone move better and feel better.

When you started your company, Hyperice, why was the initial focus on professional athletes?

I’ve always looked at it like there’s great premium on keeping multi-million dollar professional athletes on the court and on the field by allowing them to recover and rehab faster. Performance and longevity in sport is all based around two things: One, there is the recovery from day to day competition and training. So we’re always addressing the question of “How do I get my body back where I don’t have inflammation and pain in joints? And, “How do I continue to move with balance and efficiency?” The daily recovery is a kind of routine where athletes have both training and recovery programs and routines to follow and have to do them religiously

Then there is the recovery from injury, and in the Sports Medicine business it’s all about how to get someone better, faster. When franchises have 50-90 players on the payroll, there’s an enormous amount of time and effort devoted to keeping everyone healthy and performing at their highest level. So when guys get hurt, there is always a premium on finding the best surgeons, the best DCs, the best soft tissue therapists and best trainers to work together to get the player back on the field.

So once you’ve found the DC, the surgeon, the trainer and the PT whose skill levels can provide the right recovery therapy, it comes down to using the best tools they have access to help facilitate the process. Just like a mechanic, you’re only as good as your tools. And so this is where I wanted to step in, innovate within that area of recovery and create a set of top-of-the-line technologies that will help both athletes and therapists address rehab and recovery needs. Whether it’s helping with daily recovery or acute/chronic injury, we wanted to be the trusted brand that the professionals look to when they choose what goes into their toolbox.

Okay and so you wanted a chiropractor or a sports medicine professional to say “I want my patient/athlete to feel better and recover faster, so what technology can help me help them expedite the process, inside or outside of my office?”

Yes, I wanted to make products the athlete could use with a therapist or as active care on their own. The training room and the treatment office are both incredibly busy places, so getting the athlete to a place where they didn’t have to rely on the trainer or the therapist for simple things like icing was the objective. Now, as we evolved, enabling the athletes to get some of the treatment you’d get inside the training room, in comfort of their own home—that was our goal for the VYPER vibrating foam roller.

And so that was the challenge for us: making a world class innovative product every single time, instead of just oh, we make another iPad or we made another percussion device. We needed to differentiate all of our products so that the therapists and the athletes both recognize the competitive advantage that we provide in the recovery arena, in attempts to get the athlete better, faster. That’s the greater picture and vision I had when first developing our products.

We aim to test with the highest level of sports; if we can fit their needs, then we know that the product will work for almost anyone else. These guys hold our products to the highest standards.

Could you touch on product design and where you came up with the inspiration for the Hyperice wraps?

People always ask where I got the idea for Hyperice. I was thirty years old and still as active as I always was. I started to notice changes in the way my body felt after playing basketball or working out. I was watching an NBA game on TV and I saw the players using plastic bags and tape to ice and compress muscles. I was surprised icing hadn’t really changed, that’s what we did in college!

How come no one came up with a better way to ice? Icing for an athlete is something they do every day. It’s not something that you do once in a while; it’s like brushing your teeth. I thought, if I can come up with a better and more efficient tool, I could improve on this recovery process.

I don’t like throwing away plastic bags, so I bought reusable medical bags to use for icing. But I noticed that whenever I tried to compress the bag to my body like I would use with a wrap, it would push all the air to the top and then the wrap would never make contact with the ice. It seemed like a lost area, because you can’t get the air out of the bag. So it was my goal to get the air out of the bag. If I could get the ice to fit around my joint with some amount of compression, I would get a better treatment and I could also move around while the cold penetrated deeper than normal.

I went down the street and got my neighbor’s drill and I drilled a hole on the top of the bag and I put my thumb over it and experimented. I drew up this design for an air release on an ice bag, where the release would do three things: It would increase the surface area of the wrap, because now the ice gets pushed down and flattens out; it would increase surface contact area of the ice so there’d be no little spaces and gaps; and the button would be an easier solution to release air than trying to unscrewing the cap to let the air out, or pop a hole in a plastic bag, which can get messy.

And now you’re focusing on products outside of the icing/cryotherapy spectrum?

The idea for the VYPER vibrating foam roller happened at the University of Oregon. I saw a player putting his foam roller on a vibration plate and thought, wow that makes sense – I looked into the idea and it felt like a lightning bolt had hit me. I knew that no one had done that yet, and so I came to my engineers and said I wanted to do another product, but I didn’t just want it to be about icing, I wanted to create more of a recovery brand.

So I went into my engineers’ office and I said “I have my next invention – I want to make the vibrating foam roller” and he goes, “what’s a foam roller?” He didn’t even know what a foam roller was. So I knew I was on to something when I realized that we could create another innovative product and help educate everyone on the benefits of foam rolling and vibration.

Immediately, we started taking about how to get the vibration. So we went and bought an RC car motor and  weights and made a really crude vibrating loud metal thing to start with. Overall it took us about two years to develop the VYPER all the way.

The VYPER is our one tool that a chiropractor can use in their office for a warm up, mobilzation or rehab session, or they can sell it to their clients for at home use and make a nice profit for their time and expertise. You can tell your patients: “I want you to do this every day for 5 minutes on these body parts” and help to improve outcomes by guiding them through the process. Because a lot of times, you only have so much time with a patient, so the more they can do outside your office, the better results you’ll get. Also, people come in with a bad knee, and their pain has nothing to do with their knees, it’s just they can’t open up or activate their hips, and the combination of rolling and vibration is really great for that.

I gave the VYPER to a friend of mine who had bad knees and after rolling out for some time he said, “My knees feel so much better because I’ve been doing the VYPER on my hips” and I said, yes, because it’s part of the kinetic chain and that was most likely the problem all along.

The whole point of our products is that you can take the training room into your home, whether you’re an athlete or patient recovering from exercise or an injury. For the next product that we’re launching, I really wanted to get something that was specifically for the therapist – whether it’s a Chiropractor, PT or a Soft Tissue Therapist. The Raptor is a handheld percussion device that operates at 3600 percussions per minute.

Wow.

Yeah, it’s really powerful, it has a changeable head and the greatest benefit is that it helps the therapist save their hands by not having to beat up their bodies while treating patients all day. If I’m a chiropractor doing manual tissue work, I’m relying on my hands to work sometimes 8 hours a day. So what the Raptor does is it allows the chiropractor to have an instrument that performs at a high level to get into the soft tissue with almost no pressure from the doc. It loosens everything up to where the therapist is just doing the finishing touches on the patient.

The Raptor is a tool that would take a lot of pressure off of the therapist and allow them to potentially see more patients, provide high quality therapeutic benefits and most of all, the therapist can focus on really diving into muscular issues with renewed hand strength.

The VYPER roller, ice wraps and Raptor massage tool all advance therapy and aid the therapist in providing tools that deliver real results inside and outside of their practice. We know the therapist isn’t going to invest in any product that doesn’t get results. So at Hyperice, we know what our role is: we give chiropractors and therapists the tools to be able to provide better treatment and improves outcomes for their patients, in a more efficient manner, while at the same time making the professional’s life easier by providing a high quality solution to their daily treatment needs.

If you’re interested in learning more about the Raptor percussion device please email DC Aligned. We’ll keep you updated on the release date and pre-sale booking.

Click here to read more about Anthony Katz. The author’s opinions are their own and DC Aligned does not take responsibility for content statements and opinions. You should seek expert counsel in evaluating opinions, treatments, products and services. For more info see our Editorial Policies.

Download the VYPER Foam Rolling Instructional PDF from WebExercises:

VyperHandout

Recommended Products from DC Aligned